Sunday, August 05, 2007

No Internet

A little over a month ago I started having problems with my Hughes Net satellite internet system. I contacted Hughes technical support and they told me that the equipment is still under warranty.

I was having a TX10 problem with the Hughes equipment. At first when I turned on the system from a cold boot, I could connect to the internet for one or two minutes and then the TX10 message would appear and the DW7000 would no longer connect with the NOC. Reboots via software did not help. The system had been working fine in the same location for about 3 months.

Later when the DW7000 modem was turned on from a cold boot the Transmit codes were TX3 “Transmitter locking to receive carrier”, TX8 “Transmitter Ready”, and then TX10 “Can’t communicate with the Network Operations Center”. The receiver code was RX5 “Receiver Operational”. The software download status reported “Received first heartbeat message”. TCP acceleration status was “Not Operational”.

I am assigned to 990 on SatMex5.

I tried forcing ranging and it would attempt to range (TX9) for about 10 minutes and then give a TX13 error code.

I had an extra cable for the dish and used it to test if there might have been a problem with the original cable. The problem continued so the problem was not the cable. I tried to go through the procedure of re-aiming the dish with the OPI meter but since there was a transmit problem, the procedure did not complete.

The horn on the end of the LNB got a crack in it some time ago and the equipment continued to function okay until the rainy season started. So I thought that the transmitter had gotten damp and was no longer functioning correctly.

I am not happy with Hughes Net technical support. The technicians offered no tips or resolution to my problem. Their only response was to say I needed a visit from a technician at my installation. When they finally understood that I was in Mexico, they said they could do nothing.

On the Datastormer’s forum, I was able to get some tips from others of what to check to resolve my transmission problem. After trying all the suggestions, I decided that the transmission unit must be bad. A fellow, Dexter, suggested I contact Jaba Networks in Cuernavaca, Mexico. I called Jaba Networks and they said had the right parts for me. Samuel with Jaba Networks, who speaks English, helped me and told me he had a used transmitter that he could sell me. Since it would be simpler for me (not having to deal with Mexican Customs), I bought the transmitter with LNB and wave guide for $250 USD. The parts arrived in about four days and I am now back online with the Hughes equipment for the first time in over a month. Jaba Networks has a web page (in Spanish) in case you are interested:

http://www.jabanetworks.us/HughesNet.html

Since I first tried to get help from Hughes Net while my equipment was under warranty and the problem was a faulty transmitter, I expected a credit on my account of $250 USD and credit for the one month’s service that I could not use Hughes Net. I did not ask for a credit of about $100 USD that I spent on Verizon roaming charges talking with Hughes Net Support.

Hughes Net says that they will credit me for a one month service fee but will not credit me for the parts I bought.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Hello Gary,

I am Mel Laite. I have a place in a little town in the Yucatan.
I also am experiencing issues with my Hughes Net system. I am able to connect but then the thing disconnects. The transmit light and the system lights go out.
My system is the older D6000.
Does this sound familiar. No help for Hughesnet either by the way. Also is the transmiter in the unit it self?

Muchos saludos, Mel Laite

Gary Schroeder said...

Hi Mel,

It does sound similar to what I was experiencing with my system. The transmiter is located on arm attached to the dish.

I suggest that you read my posts on the Datastormer's forum. After you have tried some of the things to troubleshoot your system and got some advice from some of the knowledgeable posters on the forum, you may decide that your transmiter is bad.

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved I found your blog. I'm having the same type problem. I have more than 20 case numbers (probably closer to 30 at this point) and I could do all the troubleshooting by heart now. Mine started out with my 6 month old modem dying on me. All I had was a power light. I had just upgraded to the newer modem so luckily that was covered by warranty. Everything else isn't though and is about 4 years old. After the new modem was installed, and it didn't go well, more like a forced installion with help from advanced tech support, then it worked for 2 weeks then it started dropping to 3 lights, loosing transmit and system. I loose service for about a minute then get it back and the 11 minute clock begins again. I have been on the phone endless hours with tech support and advanced tech support. Advanced tech support said that someone with more knowledge would call me back. Never did. I have now resorted to sending endless emails and 11 minute chats (since my service cuts out) complaining that no one has called me back and that my service still sucks mostly trying to wear them down by making a nuisance of myself. I will check out the datastormer website like you suggested. I cannot even begin to express how bad Hughesnet's tech support is. I could have had this resolved in February if anyone from tech support knew what was going on and stopped passing me around to new people. Every time I call, I start from the beginning again with all the trouble shooting steps. Hopefully TX10 will go away soon. Thanks again, Missy