Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Getting Ready - Part 5

A little progress happened yesterday. The guys from Solar Wind Works showed up yesterday for another look at the rig for planning the solar/electrical installation. They think that we may be able to fit 5 130 watt solar panels on the roof. With the 85 watt that I already have that will be 735 watts, which I hope will be adequate for my computing life style. The plan is to have 4 of the new panels in series for 48 volts to be connected to a Outback MX60 Charge Controller. Using 48 volts for the solar array allows for reduction in wire size and power loss from the array to the charge controller and can maximize performance. The other new panel and the existing panel will be at 12 volts and use a separate charge controller.

We plan to install the Outback sine wave inverter/charger (VFX2812M 2800 watt) on a MidNite Solar E-Panel. We will also install a Outback Mate system controller. One thing I learned new about this is the size and weight of this setup. The E-Panel is 20.5" by 9.4". I don't know it's weight. The inverter/charger is 16.25" by 8.25" and weighs 54 lbs. The most likely location for the mount will be vertically on the wall backing to the refrigerator. The MX60 charge controller will be mounted vertically beside it. It was determined that the inverter charger was too big to be mounted in the cabinet next to the door. So it will be exposed but this leaves the cabinet available for other storage. I have moved the Lazy Daze magazine rack to the rear lounge to make room for the mounting of the inverter/charger and new charge controller.

We plan to install 6 AGM batteries probably 6 volt. We will remove the 2 12 volt lead acid batteries currently installed because it is best to have a matched battery bank.

Solar Wind Works has not yet provided an estimate. I'm guessing that the solar system will cost about $15,000. Not cheap. I hope I'm making the right decision about this RV life style.

I have been spending time on line researching parks and potential camping sites and putting pushpins in the Microsoft Streets and Trips maps.

My realtor stopped by. It now looks like we will have to lower the asking price on the house. We will wait one week to see what feedback from the realtor open house is before we make the change in price.

The last 4 or 5 days I have been dealing with an affliction that pretty much crippled me. I didn't go to a doctor (typical male) but I now think that it was probably a spider bite. The first symptom was my left foot near the base of the big toe became painful and I could hardly walk. Then I noticed that my whole left foot was tender and swollen. It is better now. I think I'm about 80% recovered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Old guys like us look better with long hair and a beard. 8-) Looks like you're a year younger that myself but looking at your picture with beard was almost like looking in a mirror. Strange but comforting given that we both want to get on the road full time. Incredible that you referenced "On the Road" as I just both same from Amazon and am re-reading it. I find your writing style interesting to read, very smooth, very polished without seeming to be. PS: I think your real estate agent is full of beans about lowering your price. Recall that their absolute dollars don't go down as much as yours since they're getting a fixed percentage. Best of luck with the Lazy Daze; I've follow "Travels with Gertie" since it started and I think Andy Baird comes close to walking on water when he talks about his coach. Robert in Houston (whose is also trying to sell his house so he can get "On the Road"). 8-)

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Old guys like us look better with long hair and a beard. 8-) Looks like you're a year younger that myself but looking at your picture with beard was almost like looking in a mirror. Strange but comforting given that we both want to get on the road full time. Incredible that you referenced "On the Road" as I just bought same from Amazon and am re-reading it. I find your writing style interesting to read, very smooth, very polished without seeming to be.

Best of luck with the Lazy Daze; I've follow "Travels with Gertie" since it started and I think Andy Baird comes close to walking on water when he talks about his coach.

PS: I think your real estate agent is full of beans about lowering your price. Recall that their absolute dollars don't go down as much as yours since they're getting a fixed percentage.

Robert in Houston (who is also trying to sell his house so he can get "On the Road"). 8-)

Gary Schroeder said...

kjbegtHi Robert,

Thanks for your kind words about the blog.I agree with your comment about Andy Baird and his "Travels with Gertie" web site. Along with George of "The Travels of Ms. Tioga and George, Andy has been an inspiration for my change of lifestyle. Do you know that Andy is dumping Gertie for a newer 26.5' MB Lazy Daze?

My current plans include setting up residency in South Dakota, traveling there to get the South Dakota driver's license and license plates and then down to Colorado to see John Calypso and then down through Texas to the state of Vera Cruz. One of my best friends lives in Houston so I plan to stop there on the way. Maybe we can meet then. If it doesn't happen then, I hope we will meet "On the Road"

Gary

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Sorry for the double post -- I couldn't easily figure out the blogger rules. I second the South Dakota registration as we've already done that. Also, check out Alternative Resources for mail forwarding and other services; nice folks. Yes, I read about Andy upgrading to a 26.5 ft Lazy Daze. Makes me sad for Gertie but happy for him. Hope we can meet in Houston when you go through. I've never seen the inside of a Lazy Daze and in particular one the same size as Gertie. Glad you also know about Tioga & George; I check his site every day to see where he is and what he's up to. Robert in Houston.