Friday, August 04, 2006

Getting Ready - Part 7

Yesterday was mostly spent transferring my web site "Gary's Mountain Inn" from my server to a web hosting site (1&1). When the house is finally sold and I am full timing in the rig, I won't be able to host my site on my own server because when moving around I won't have full time internet access.

I am having second thoughts about my decision to go with the portable Dustyfoot HughesNet internet system instead of the Datastorm automatic system. It sure would be nice to be able to get on line in five minutes and not have to deal with setting up the tripod system. Also when dry camping in an urban location like a WalMart, it will not be convenient to set up the tripod system. But the tripod system is cheaper in initial costs and monthly fees plus the advantage of more choices for parking the rig in one place and being able to place the dish in a better place to view the satellites. Perhaps I will invest in a WiFi antenna so it will be easier to find a hot spot to get on line in an urban location. Tradeoffs to any decision.

I still haven't made a decision about a cell phone. I think that I will probably choose Verizon as the provider because it seems to have the best coverage areas. I don't plan to use the phone much but it seems that I should get one in case of emergencies. Although if I get stuck in a ditch out in the boonies with no cellular towers within range, I could set up the satellite dish, get on the internet and summon help maybe using Skype.

My real estate agent says that my house still smells from cigarette smoke and wants to have the house treated by ozone. She says that she will pay for the treatment so yesterday a guy with a business called Air Medic set up ozone generators in the house. The treatment is for 24 hours and while it is in process, I'm not supposed to be in the house so I spent last night in the rig.

We lowered the asking price for the house and I hope that will generate more interest and a sale soon. I am starting to get anxious to get on with the process of getting on the road.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

George, thanks for blogging this. I want to fulltime in 6 years when I can retire at 55 with health benefits. I'm thinking about a late model 26.5' LD with no toad. I'll watch, learn, and live vicariously through your blog.
I've seen folks on the lifewithalazydazerv forum say there isn't room on the smaller Dazes for a sat. internet dish, and with all the solar you are putting up, the roof dish might not fit? All I know is what I've read, though.
Enjoy the journey...Chuck

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Sorry I called you George. Take it as a compliment?
Chuck
www.n8uw.com

Donna McNicol said...

Sounds like things are moving along for you....hope your house finds the perfect buyer soon.

Anonymous said...

Gary - Once you get a couple of setups under your belt you will have the Dustyfoot (more than I would have done) running in a matter of minutes except for the occasional difficult 'dial-in' that would also be difficult with the high end systems.

When you are in Walmart like lots you could fashion a low mount that you could align on the roof rather than in the parking lot. I have a mount in Mexico that could probably be good to use both for solar panels and the dish - it is setup to hold the heavier previous model DirecWay dish - very beefy.

You have the right setup - not to worry!

John