Sunday, August 13, 2006

Internet via Cell Phone

I made a decision on a cell phone and service provider. I finally checked the Yahoo group “InternetbyCellPhone”. I should have checked this group a long time ago. It would have saved me several hours of researching this topic on my own. In this group in the files section there is a document entitled “VERIZON CONNECTIVITY TUTORIAL” which covers the subject and even recommends which cell phones which will work as modems. My main reason for getting a cell phone is for emergencies. I also want the phone to be able to be used as a modem as a backup to my satellite internet system. I also plan to connect to the internet via cell phone when I am in an urban situation when setting up the satellite dish is not wise or convenient and there is no reachable WiFi hot spot.

The phone I settled on is the Motorola V325. This phone does not have Bluetooth which I wanted but it is a “Tri-mode” phone which means it can connect on analog or digital cell phone towers. This is a good thing for RVers because you may get stuck somewhere in the boonies where there are only analog towers. I think for internet connectivity you will still need to be in an area with a digital connection. This phone can be hacked if need be to re-activate abilities that Verizon has de-activated.

The phone is free when you sign up for a two year contract for service from Verizon. I probably will augment this cell phone system with a Wilson Trucker external antenna and maybe the Dual Band Cellular Amplifier. Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.primecellular.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=199

I am also thinking of getting a WiFi external antenna and/or amplifier to aid in getting on line via a WiFi hot spot. Does any one have any recommendations on products to accomplish this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,
I just started following your site and I am in the "getting ready" phase of fulltiming my last thing to choose is how to stay connected while on the road.
I was wondering how I go about finding a wifi service? I have wifi computer but I need whatever it takes to use it while on the road. When I'm at the cg I figured I could still get dsl sense I will be staying at our first workamping job for 6 months and you can get a phone at your campsite. Any suggestions would help...
Thanks so much
Desaree

Gary Schroeder said...

Desaree,

I suggest that you join two Yahoo groups: Internetbycellphone and InternetbyWiFi. Go to the files section in each group and look for files that have information for newbies. If you still need help, then post a question to the group.

To find a WiFi hotspot you should download a free application called "NetStumbler" that you can find on line using Google. You then drive around (called "War" driving)and NetStumbler will play a sound when if finds a WiFi network and will display information on the network like if it is secured or not and the strength of the signal. If you configure NetStumbler with a GPS device, it will also give the longitude and latitude of the network location.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

Read your posts on the Internet by Cell Group & discovered your blog.(Nice LD!) I would check the 2 WiFi devices offered by Hawking. Other RV'ers seem to be very satisfied.

I am computer literate but new to internet by cell & am considering the route you are using.

Will your V325 setup allow high speed internet access or just backdoor access? Do you just subscribe to a basic plan or do you also subscribe to a dataplan?

You can email me at: stackhouses@hotmail.com for more info on the Hawking product or to discuss the Verizon thing further.

Thanks for your help. Steve