Friday, August 18, 2006

The solar system installation starts.

The day before yesterday, FedEx delivered my Motorola V325 Verizon cell phone and Mobile Office Kit with a USB data cable. Most of yesterday I spent installing software, learning how to use the phone and hacking the phone to enable functions that Verizon had disabled. Verizon disables OBEX data transfer so that the customer is forced to use Verizon services to get ring tones, wallpaper, etc. at extra cost. To get photographs off the cell phone, Verizon makes you have to email them as an attachment at 25 cents per email (plus connect minutes). The bottom line is I was successful and can now use the cell phone as a modem for back up internet access and upload and download pictures and sound files between my Vaio and the cell phone. So this morning I called and discontinued my local land line telephone and DSL service. I hate paying for duplicate services.

The guys from Solar Wind Works showed up yesterday to begin the installation of the solar system. Some of the required parts have not yet been delivered so it is not clear when the installation will be complete. It was decided that the E panel and inverter/charger will be installed on some new wood which will cover the window and on top of the cabinet next to the door of the rig. So we got some wood from the cabinet maker who installed the pantry and door for the cabinet where the microwave was located and I stained it to match the pantry. This location is close to the batteries but it will obscure the window. Due to the size and weight of the E panel with the inverter/charger this is the safest location. The Lazy Daze magazine rack has been moved to the rear lounge area. I will upload some pictures.

The guys from Solar Wind Works have been delayed but I expect them soon to continue the installation.

No comments: