Sunday, December 03, 2006

Still Kicking it

In Tom's Bar

El Camaleón Bar

Ajijic waterfront street
Lake Chapala




My idea in my last post to slow down on socializing didn’t last long. I’ve been out getting around again. The weather here has been wonderful. The other day I checked on the Sierra Sun web site to see what was going on in the area where my Lake Tahoe house in Truckee is located. The temperature at 7:30 AM was 7 degrees F. What a difference. I am still running around down here at Lake Chapala in short sleeved shirts, sandals and shorts.

The fiestas continue. The new Mexican president was inaugurated last week. The fiestas for the Virgin of Guadalupe started on December 1 and go to the 12th. The rockets continue going off with a bang on and off during the day and night and you hear bands playing in the neighborhoods. I am starting to think that part of the reason that some of the Mexicans are poor is because they are enjoying the fiestas and not working and what little money they do have is spent on fireworks.

Last night Brian, Ursula, Kas, Maria, Al and I went to the Pampa Tango Restuarante to eat. It is an Argentina style place located on Colon near the Old Pasda and the Beer Saloon. We all had excellent beef in one style or another. I had Arrechara (flank steak) and the rest had Filet Mignon. I’m unsure whether the beef was imported from Argentina or was from Mexico but it sure was good. Afterwards we went to La Tosca for drinks and dancing.

On Monday morning Brian, Ursula, Kas, Maria, Al and Elena (Al’s Mexican girl friend from Guadalajara) leave to go to the Pacific coast town of Cuyutlan for a week at a resort there. I don’t know what the name of the place they are going to be staying at but it is run by friends of Elena. I plan to catch a ride with them to the Hotel Fenix to meet my son, Marc’s esposa, Denise’s mother, Norma who lives in Armeria. I don’t think Norma speaks any English and my Spanish is very limited so it will be interesting to see how things work out. I don’t know how long I will be in Armeria but I will probably return by bus via Guadalajara unless I can catch a ride with my friends back to my San Juan Cosala camp.

While researching the Hotel Fenix with Google I ran across a page “
Cuyutlan Through My Eyes” written by Don Adams. He sometimes hangs out at the Fenix so I sent him an email, hoping that I would be able to meet him there and buy him a drink. He wrote back that he is currently in Texas for medical treatment. On Don’s website I learned that he has written a book called Head for Mexico - The Renegade Guide . I like his writing style and the web site indicated that the book was for sale at three places in Ajijic. The first place I checked didn’t have the book but I located and bought the book at the La Nueva Posada Hotel.

Later on while starting to read the book at a coffee shop, one of the other customers came up to me and told me that his picture is in the book. His name is Tim Harlin and he is a member of Los Picaros pictured on page 15 of Don’s book. I haven’t had time to read much of the book yet but I will be taking it with me on my trip to the coast. It seems to have a lot of good information for those thinking of coming to Mexico.

This will probably be my last post until I return from the coast. I will take my camera and get some pictures to upload but I don’t think I will take the Vaio with me. I will take notes on paper and write it up when I return.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found Pampa Tango to be a great place to eat too. Try the Lasagna Bolonase next time you are there if you like Italian Food. I found it funny that we were eating Italian Food at an Argentenia Restaurant in Mexico and it was GOOD The atmosphere was good too.

Mac