Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Coast Trip

On Monday morning a little after 9 AM we left for the Pacific Coast beach town of Cuyutlan. I rode with Elena and Al in Elena’s car while Ursula, Brian, Kas and Maria followed us in Ursula’s van. We were surprised by a slow truck in front of us near Colima and narrowly missed having an accident. When we arrived in Colima we decided to go to El Centro. It was very beautiful with a large Basilica and hotels with sidewalk cafes. We parked and walked around for awhile. I got a photo of some women and little girls dressed in the traditional Colima costume of maroon and white in front of the Basilica.






Vulcan de Colima



Colima Basilica


Colima sidewalk tables


Maria and Kas

The gang except for Elena and me


Elena and Al


Brian and Kas


El hombre guapo



The Basilica




We continued on to the beach at Cuyutlan which was mostly deserted of visitors. I got my bag and went to the Hotel Fenix. The rest of the group were supposed to be staying at the San Rafael hotel but they decided they didn’t like the black volcanic sand beaches, the lack of other visitors and no fishing boats so they continued on further north to Melaque for their vacation.

It turns out that the phone number that I had for Norma was not a good number. Oliva, the owner of the Hotel Fenix along with her husband Geoff, tried to call Norma but could not connect with her. So I got a big Margarita and a large shrimp and octopus cocktail and went to talk with Geoff. Geoff is an American ex-pat, having lived in Mexico about 13 years and is now a Mexican National. He is into computers and music so we talked a lot about those subjects and Mexico and life in Mexico. After several Margaritas the bar shut down. One of the fellows that worked there needed a ride home to Armeria and Oliva was going to drive him home. She offered to stop by Norma’s house and ask her to call the Hotel Fenix. She wasn’t home so Olivia left a note. Norma called later and we made arrangements for her to pick me up the following morning.

The Fenix has an aquarium with some big turtles and a pet Cotimundi. A healthy 23 year old blonde woman from Britain showed up to stay at the Fenix. We started a conversation and soon Geoff, Rachel and I were talking and drinking Pacificos. Rachel had recently completed 4 months of charity work in Mexico and was now on vacation checking out other areas of Mexico traveling alone, a gutsy and brave young woman. I must say now after two months here that I have yet to run into any banditos or robbers. Mexico seems very safe to me.






Hotel Fenix






Geoff





Olivia





Margarita and seafood cocktail




Rachel



I stayed over night in one of the Hotel Fenix rooms and got up before 10 AM and went downstairs and had some coffee and sweet rolls (pan). Norma arrived shortly afterwards with her 15 year old daughter, Lupita. Lupita is about 6’1” with a quick and beautiful smile. Norma knows one or two words of English and Lupita knows how to count in English so I was forced to communicate with my limited Spanish and sign language.

Norma drove us back to Armeria (about 12 KM from Cuyutlan) in her red pickup truck with a manual transmission. You have to love a woman who can drive a stick shift truck. Norma had prepared the second story of her home for me to stay with her. Over the next six days I stayed with Norma, Lupita and Lupita’s 16 year old cousin, Solita. Norma fixed several nice meals and did my laundry. Armeria’s Feria (Fair) was in full swing and every evening we went to El Centro, browsed the booths, ate food, listened to music, got drinks, tried our luck at games of chance and watched the promenade around the town square. Every night there was a different type of music; Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, Flutes, Pianos, traditional Mexican with 10 guitarists with a basist, Trios, et cetera. One night we went to Lupita’s school, a branch of the Universidad de Colima to see a Christmas play performed on the grass. Lupita sold tostadas.

We would usually have a breakfast made by Norma and then run errands around town. Two days we went to the beach. One day we went to Parisio and looked for the crocodiles that live in the lagoons but didn’t see any. I had a good swim in the ocean and we had some great food prepared on the beach at the open air restauante, El Guero. Norma and I each had Huachinango (Red Snapper) and Lupita had Camaron Diabla (shrimp). I think it was the best fish I have ever had. The other beach day we went to Cuyutlan to swim, drink Coronas, buy beads from the beach vendors, watch the fishermen catching fish in the surf with nets, watch the Chivas win the soccer championship on the TV in the bar at the Hotel Fenix and had a good meal.

Armeria is located west of the city of Colima and about 6 KM from the nearest beach, Parisio. There are about 25,000 persons who live in Colima and according to some; I was the only gringo there. I was introduced to many of Norma’s friends and only three spoke any English at all. I encountered no bad vibrations and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I started to grow fond of Norma and we had a good time together.




Norma working on her Colima dress


Lupita


Norma and friends


Armeria Feria stage


Crocodiles ?






Solita, Norma and Lupita


Church Procession


Norma in the Armeria town square
Universidad de Colima play




Solita and Norma


Lupita helping teach neighborhood kids



Norma at Cuyutlan beach


Norma is supervising the construction of my son Marc and her daughter Denise’s house. The house is being built about 7 blocks from Norma’s house. It is almost complete but it won’t be finished on the scheduled date of completion of December 15th. My son Marc, Denise, and their little girl and Norma’s and mine grand daughter, Catalina are scheduled to fly in to the Manzanillo air port on December 14th and Norma and I plan to drive to pick them up.

On Monday morning, Lupita and Norma dropped me off at the bus station. The Directo Regular Servico fare was 156 pesos to Guadalajara. I left at 11 AM and it took me until about 6 PM to arrive at my San Juan Cosala camp. In Guadalajara I had to take a taxi ride from the new bus station to the old bus station to catch a local bus to Lake Chapala. I paid 120 pesos for the taxi ride and have been told I paid too much. The fare should have been about 80 pesos but since this was the first time in the city I didn’t know my way around. The fare on the local bus to San Juan Cosala was 27 pesos.



Cell phone photos at the bus station

No comments: