Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bank Frustration

It is my understanding that when applying for the FM3 for the first time that you can do so with your bank accounts in your home country. For subsequent renewals of the FM3, you need to have a Mexican bank account that shows deposits monthly that cover the minimum required for the FM3. In the state of Colima, I think the amount to be deposited monthly for a single person not living in Mexican property owned by them is currently, $1,250 USD.

Since this is the first time I am applying, I really don't need a Mexican bank account but I thought it might be a good idea to get one now and develop a relationship with a local bank. Also, I have been having to go to the bank almost everyday because I can only withdraw $3,000 pesos a day. I need to get enough to make the payroll for the work crew and out of pocket expenses. Another bank account could help reduce the number of trips to El Centro. In Armeria there is only one bank, HSBC.

A couple of weeks ago, Norma and I went to the bank (where no one speaks English) and I tried to open a checking account and get an ATM card for it. The lady made copies of my passport, California driver's license and my FMT. We left thinking that everything was set up for the account. I just needed to wait until I got my first electricity utility bill and bring it to the bank to prove my address in Armeria.

After the electricity bill was delivered to Casa de Schroeder, Norma and I took it to the bank. The required initial deposit was $1,000 pesos which I had. I also wanted to deposit a check drawn on my California credit union account for $1,500 USD. Well, this confused Norma and the bank lady. They thought I wanted to cash the check. Although I said "No combio, solo deposito" I did not get the account. Norma then proceeded to take me to a lady where she thought I could cash the check. Finally I got through to her, I didn't want to cash a check.

I went back to the bank without Norma and tried again to open the account. This time I spoke with an hombre. I didn't say anything about depositing a check and I thought he was going to go ahead and open the account. I was wrong. This time I think he thought that I wanted Norma to be able to use the account so he wanted me to return with Norma.

At this point, I am disappointed in my ability to speak Spanish and I am thinking about putting the idea of an FM3 application on hold. I finally got an email response from the Colima attorney stating that he would get in touch with me the next day and email a document for Denise to sign stating that I was living in her house in Armeria. That was three days ago.

Maybe, I am being frustrated with the so-called "Manana, Manana" trait of Mexicans and need to relax and go with the flow (which is "muy despacio").

2 comments:

DZ said...

a foreigner needs an FM3 to open a Mexican bank account.

Many Mexican banks have English internet pages listing their requirements

D
www.tuxtlas.com

Gary Schroeder said...

You are mistaken. I had a friend who speaks English and Spanish go to the bank and check on the situation. My problems in this bank in Armeria had nothing to do with my visa.