Thursday, January 18, 2007

Update

As I have mentioned previously, I was having major computer problems. The laptop is screwed up from the fall on the floor and it was getting worse everyday. I could not do online banking. I could not run many programs. Then I could not read emails.

My backup computer is broken. It needs a new motherboard. It looks like I cannot get exactly the same motherboard here in Mexico. If I cannot get exactly the same motherboard, I will loose all the data on that machine.

All of my records for several years have been stored electronically. These two machines cost me almost $7,000.

I tried to get data off of the laptop onto DVDs. I had problems doing that. After I did get most of the data off of the laptop, I rebuilt the laptop.


Before the fall, the Vaio had two drives striped in RAID 0 for performance. After several tries, I could not rebuild the laptop in that configuration. I tried to rebuild it with the two drives in a non-RAID configuration but it was the C: drive which is damaged. So I was able to rebuild the machine in a RAID 1 configuration. This is where the data and programs are mirrored on both drives. This means that the Vaio is not as fast as it was with RAID 0 and has half as much hard drive space. I cannot run chkdsk any longer because drive 0 has failed and the machine is running off of drive 2, the backup drive. But at least it is working for the time being and I am back online using it to post to the blog.

I mentioned previously on this blog that Mexico has laws against bad mouthing or insulting someone in public. I now have some personal experience in that area.

A few days ago, I almost went to jail. After work, I wanted to go to the bank ATM, check with the people that have my desktop computer and go to the Hotel Fenix to talk with Jeff for advice on how to get computer parts. With Norma I drove the van to el Centro and parked the van near the bank. I parallel parked the van and slightly tapped the Ford Explorer in back while parking. A woman who owns the Ford and has a clothing shop across the street came over and started claiming damage to the Ford front bumper. The bumper had a slight scrape that I don’t think I caused so I looked at it and told the lady “Lo sciento” and went to the ATM. When I returned there were about 3 police, Norma and the lady talking. I stood there trying to understand what was happening. About 5 more police showed up. Finally, I said “Cuantos” to the lady and she ignored me. Then, I waved a 500 peso bill at her. She ignored that. Then I said that “La senora est loco” and “No danos”, no damage. Then she announced she wanted $2,800 pesos. And I called her a thief, “Ladrona”. Then the police took my driver’s license and were ready to take me to jail for probably insulting the lady. Norma did some fast talking but I ended up giving the lady $2,500, the cops kept my license and I got a ticket.

Norma and I went to see the town treasurer. Norma asked for a reduction in the fine. When we went to the police station to pay the fine, it was reduced 50% to 119 pesos thanks to Norma. I got my driver's license back and don't plan to take it with me anymore except for a xerox copy.


I thought I started the process to get the FM3. Marc and I had a consultation (for 300 pesos) with an English speaking attorney in Colima who told us he could help us in the process. He told us his email address and said he checks it every day but he has not responded to the 3 emails I have sent him. We found out that the office for immigration for the state of Colima is not in Colima but in Manzanillo so I may just look for a new attorney in that town.

I appreciate the opportunity to work together with my son, Marc, on his Armeria house project. I think this is good for both of us. But I do not get to kick back and enjoy life in a hammock in Mexico. My job entails being a work crew supervisor, photographer, swimming pool cleaner, bookkeeper, flunky, watchman, payroll, et cetera. The compensation for these jobs is?

I am having second thoughts about being able to live full time in Mexico. Up north, most of my friends are college educated. Some are what you might call intellectuals. I am not being snobby, that is just the way things are. Here in Mexico as you know, it is a different culture with a different language. As long as I am learning something new about the culture and language, things and people are interesting. After sometime living here and getting more familiar with the people and culture, I think I will need more substantial friends. Everyone in Armeria seems low or middle class. I think after awhile, I would become very bored here.

Getting things can be a problem here; like computer parts, software, etc. I don’t know if I could buy something on eBay and get delivery in Mexico.

Some days in Armeria in January were about as hot as I could stand. What is going to happen in July and August?

I am starting to miss the variety of food you can get in the States, like Thai, Chinese, Italian, German, etc. I’m starting to get bored with Mexican food. Maybe after I get a regular kitchen and the time, I can cook some of these foods except for Thai and Chinese, my favorites.


I have a few photos I will post with my next post.

No comments: