Monday, January 22, 2007

Update on the fiesta for Divino Nino Jesus

Last night we went again to the fiesta for Divino Nino Jesus. I walked this time to the Valle del Sol colonia from Casa de Schroeder and arrived about 7 PM. This late, I missed the procession and the outdoor church service was going on. The Aztec Danza group was there again and danced after the service.

This night their performance was followed by another dance group whose name I believe was Conquesta de Mexico. The dancers were dressed as Aztec warriors with bows and arrows that make a clicking sound when pulled and released and conquistadors armed with swords and with one named Cortez on the back of his shirt. They danced around in a mock battle for some time.

After this the fireworks bull made its appearance running and exploding fireworks for about 20 passes through the crowd followed closely by teenage boys not wanting to miss the action. The crowd loved this and I don't think anyone got hurt but the adults did scurry away when the bull got close. The previous night the fireworks was mainly exploding rockets but tonight there were also the beautiful star burst rockets with the remnants sometimes falling amongst the crowd.

The main stage entertainment was a nice looking but slightly overweight woman singer about 28 with blond hair dressed in what looked like a prom gown. She had a nice voice and sang along to a recorded sound track. She started out on the stage but soon enlisted the help of a man who lifted her down to the cobblestone street. She wandered through the crowd and interacted with crowd while singing her songs. Norma noticed this and warned me to watch my Ps and Qs in case the singer should come over where we were sitting.

And come over she did to sing directly to me. This happened not only once but twice she singled me out of the crowd. I guess I should have been flattered but I was mainly embarrassed.

Later on when she was into her encore, she came over and shook hands, first with Norma and then with me. I asked Norma if the singer was from Armeria and she told me that she thought the singer was from the big city of Colima.

The rest of the entertainment we saw before leaving was 3 girls about 13 dressed in short skirts who danced somewhat provacatively to several songs one being Shania Twain's "I am a woman".

By the way, on both of these nights of the fiesta, I saw absolutely no police and no trouble.

No comments: