Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Bird

Last Monday Brian and I returned to the market in Chapala. Brian wanted to return a car radio that he had bought the previous week and I was looking for huaraches (sandals). Brian found the car stereo vendor and was careful to talk with him in the back so that he would not embarrass the vendor in front of potential customers. The vendor spoke little English and Brian speaks only a little Spanish even though he has been staying lakeside off and on for nine years. Brian was persistent and successful in getting 600 pesos from the vendor for a radio Brian had paid 850 pesos for the previous week. We both considered the transaction a success because we didn’t think that he would be able to get any of his money back.

I checked three vendors that had sandals but I didn’t see anything I liked. Some looked like leather but were actually molded plastic probably from China. I understand that Mexican product sellers are having a problem with cheaper Asian products now being sold in Mexico.

On Wednesday, I looked for sandals at the smaller Ajijic market and found some I liked. They are a Mexican product, “Pirma”, made from leather with a molded plastic or rubber sole (not tire tread), don’t have a piece that goes between the toes and are fully adjustable with Velcro. They cost 250 pesos ($23.05 USD) which I thought was a little high but I haven’t learned yet how to bargain prices with the Mexican vendors. In speaking with some others, I found out that 250 pesos is the going rate for good sandals so I am satisfied with the deal.

Today Brian and I drove to Riberas to see the fellow that is constructing a custom cabinet for the speakers in the Thing. On the way back, we stopped at a furniture store where Brian knew that they were raising some turkeys in the back yard. He bought a live bird for 400 pesos which seemed really high to me but the bird will probably taste a lot better since it has been raised free range and not in a turkey factory like the birds in the US.

We tied the bird’s legs and put it in the back seat of the Thing on a piece of cardboard which didn’t help much to protect the seats from turkey crap. We were styling now Mexico style cruising with our live stock. The bird in the back seat was quite a hit with all who saw it. We went back to Salvador’s and Brian showed off his new pet (soon to be dinner) until some of the local stray dogs that beg at Salvador’s went after the bird.

Then we bought some beer for Kas and the workers who are re-modeling Kas’s house in Chula Vista. I have mentioned before that the houses in Chula Vista are mainly mansions in the Mexican version of Beverly Hills, next to the nearest golf course. Kas’s house is too big for me but it will certainly be beautiful with mature gardens. If Kas prices it right and I can sell my home in Tahoe, I might just buy it as an investment and live high on the hog for a short while. If I bought that house, I am sure that several of my friends would want to come for a visit.

For those of you who are thinking you might like to move to this area, I want to tell you something to consider. Almost all of the Canadians and Americans who live here are 60 years and older. If you are a single male looking to hook up with a woman, and are looking for some one younger than 60, your only choice will be a Mexican senorita. The young women here almost always wear tight blue jeans and a tight top.





Chapala cow



Chapala Market



Chapala pet birds and turtles for sale



Turkey seller



Brian's new pet at Salvador's






Kas and part of his garden





No comments: