Saturday, November 18, 2006

Garden & Bikers


Judith's Garden



Bikers

Thursday night, I walked to Brian & Ursala's house in San Juan Cosala. The mission was to help dispatch the turkey. I found a better and shorter way to Brian's house. In the early evening, there were several doors open to houses and tiendas (stores) and the Mexicans were being social hanging out on the street and door ways. I've learned that an acceptible greeting is "Adios" if you are just passing by on your way to some where.

Earlier in the day, we had heard from Rafael, a Peruvian cook who works at Tom's Bar, that you should get the turkey drunk before killing it. Supposedly, this makes the turkey more relaxed, resulting in a bird that is more tender. So Brian, Kas and I were debating about this, whether it was true or another Old Wive's Tale. Al, who is staying in one of Brian's casitas, contributed some vodka and we mixed it with some water and tried to get the turkey to drink it. Ursula and Maria stayed inside, not wanting to witness the deadly deed. The turkey spilled the vodka water so we just went ahead and cut it's head off. We soaked the bird in a bucket with some hot water and then hung it from a ladder and pulled all the feathers off. Kas did the butchering and cleaning.

We thought the turkey meal was to be the next day but Ursula has scheduled it for Sunday now. So Turkey Day will be late for the Canadians and early for the Americans but we will enjoy it and give thanks for the meal and to the turkey.

On my walk back to my camp at about 10 PM, I passed by Jose's house and he saw me walking by and invited me in to meet his wife and youngest son. We talked for awhile and since I had some money with me and my month of parking on Jose's lot is almost up, I went ahead and paid him 1,000 pesos ($91.64 USD or $3.05 a day) to park for another month on his lot.

On Friday, I met Brian at Salvador's and I had the same breakfast that I had my first day in Ajijic, two bacon, two sausage, scrambled eggs with salsa, a waffle and coffee for 35 pesos ($3.21 USD). Brian had a new hat on with a big turkey feather in the brim. He also had a bag of turkey feathers in the Thing that he was giving away to kids or trying to sell to gringos for 10 pesos.

We drove to get the speaker cabinet installed in the Thing and while waiting went to the Sunrise restaurant for more coffee and food. I had orange juice as I had already had enough coffee at Salvador's. Brian drinks about 20 cups of coffee a day.

There is still a problem with the sound system in the Thing. It needs a new cable for the antenna and I think that it needs a new fuse or better wiring to the radio. The radio often reboots itself. The new speakers sound good and should be secure in the new cabinet.

On the way back to Ajijic, we stopped at Judith's house to order some pies. She has a very nice house and gardens. She kindly gave me three large avocados and several oranges from the trees in her back garden.

No comments: