Thursday, November 30, 2006

Too much fun ?



All the socializing that I have been doing lately is getting to me. I need to slow down a bit. The fiestas continue. I’ve had some fun times and some good meals but I am feeling the need to just hang out in my rig for awhile.



I’m getting a reputation for knowing something about computers and software so some of my new friends are calling on me to help them with problems. Luckily, the problems have been minor and have been easy fixes.



Last Sunday, I partied too much at some of the local bars and the fiesta. I spent too much money on drinks and mariachis. I missed the last bus and even the taxis and ended up hitchhiking back to my camp.



Tuesday night at the Old Posada, I was introduced to some persons from Guadalajara who are what you might describe as upper class Mexicans of European Spanish ancestry and not mestizos. They were fun and enjoyable company. One seemed a little snobbish in that he seemed to have little interest in speaking or learning any English. Of course, it is I who is in a foreign country and who should be speaking better Spanish.



I ran across this on the Web: “For example, after traveling in Mexico and Guatemala, I found that the more European one's blood is (which is evident of one's family background and/or skin complexion), the more wealth one possesses. People with less Spanish or European blood in them, this being mezitos or indigenous people, tend to be atrociously poor. Many of them work as servants for the much richer Castilians or Spaniards. Furthermore, they are often treated with extreme disrespect, solely due to the shade of their skin or family background.”



I heard that tonight is the last night of the fiestas for awhile. Tonight is supposed to be the night with the best fireworks and bands. But I’m going to miss it. Too much fun.



Mary, the jewelry vendor (on the right) at Salvador's

Fiesta booths in Ajijic

Gary in the Beer Saloon


Dave and John in Tom's Bar

Mariachis in The Music Box





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been attracted to the RV lifestyle too, but being an introvert, I sometimes wonder if it would be too much fun at times and drive me nuts! A little socializing is fun and important, I realize, but if it gets to be too much, it cuts into the book reading, contemplation, and exercise time!

Gary Schroeder said...

I had the same thoughts about the RV lifestyle. The good thing is that if it all gets to be too much, you can always get back on the road.

Anonymous said...

To much fun? How is that possible? I hate to tell you guys but you are going to have a LONG time resting ALONE.

I enjoy a good book too but why would you want to spend the biggest part of your life reading about something someone else has done or thought about doing when you could be out doing it yourself??

It will not be too long before one or both of you will not be physically able to get out and run around with friends. IMHO you should take advantage of the health you have now.

Gary, just because you are not out running around, you can still tell us about your days in Mexico (around the ole' M/H). Enjoy reading about your everyday experiences while we are still stuck here working.

Mac