Monday, October 09, 2006

Back on the Road

The rig “Max Power” has proven it’s self to be an off road vehicle. It got out of the ditch with no problem and we headed on down the road. In Salina, Utah, I spied Mom’s Café. With a name like that and the place looked like it had been there for awhile, I knew the food was bound to be good. I was going to have pie and coffee again but I saw chicken fried steak on the menu for $8. So I had chicken fried steak, scrambled eggs, hashed browns, toast and coffee. The food was great and really hit the spot. I got a piece of apple pie to go. If you are ever in Salina, Utah check out Mom’s Café.

Good News. I was able to recover the map that was corrupted yesterday. All I had to do was delete the route and enter it again.

I stopped to check out the view at Devil’s Canyon. Several young men from Mexico were taking in the view and I mentioned that I was going to Mexico and asked them if they knew the Veracruz area. They were from near Acapulco but told me to check out Cancun. They also advised me to watch out for pick pockets in Mexico.

The rest of the trip today was routine with a lot of nice scenery. I am now parked not far off Highway 50 in Colorado near a stream. The Alpine Plateau Road access to the National Forest is across Highway 50 from this spot. I am only a couple hundred miles from my destination, John Calypso’s Earthship. Tomorrow I will look for a nice place to camp for a couple of days since John doesn’t expect me until about the 12th.

There is no cell phone reception in this area so I don’t know when I will be able to post this. I doubt if even my satellite dish would even work in this area as I’m in a canyon.

I awoke before sunrise to rain. Better than snow. It’s not too cold but you can tell the snow is coming soon. I drove to Gunnison, Colorado where I am posting this via cell phone. I just had coffee and a Danish in one of those yuppie coffee joints. It reminded me of Wild Cherries in Truckee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooops - didn't realize you use a blog entry for each photo - Maybe this has something to do with posting via your cell phone.

Gunnison is close to us - you can always come early and hangout here - but you may not get your rig down to earthship central as the last 500' is a slippery slope.

Looking forward to seeing you amigo!

Juan Calypso

Anonymous said...

Hey....the photographs are wonderful. I wanna get in my RV and go...but stuck here till after the eletion. Be safe, have fun,

C