Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bummers

I spent two nights at the Earthship. Then a weather report came that snow was indicated last night and John thought it would be best if I got over the summit between Trinidad and Raton in case there is snow. So I left about 10 AM and will meet up with John and Anita in Brownsville. The night before I left I started having problems with the Vaio. I tried to defrag the hard drive but I couldn’t do it because chkdsk was scheduled to run. I couldn’t run chkdsk because the software couldn’t get direct access to the Raid hard drives. To make a long story short, I spent about three hours that night and a couple the next morning trying to fix the problem.

At one of my stops on the road south I noticed that the valve and cover for the grey water tank was missing, probably a casualty of my excursion along side the Arkansas River. I drove until it started to be sundown and then I looked for a place to park somewhere in Texas. I found an access road to a gravel pit and since it was fairly late I thought it would be okay to park there. But pretty soon some guy came up to the rig and told me I couldn’t park there and so I moved on down the road a few miles and parked near a radio antenna.

On inspecting the rig some more, I noticed I needed to tighten some screws on the clothes cabinet doors. Then I started to fix dinner and the door to the refrigerator fell off. The upper hinge had broken. I guess the moral is to stay off of rough roads. It took about an hour but with the help of some gaffers tape I was able to get the door to the refrigerator shut.

The positive things were I traveled a long distance that day and after dinner; I was able to fix the Vaio

I got up a little after 5 AM and put lots of miles on the rig today. I’m now parked off of 37 about 15 miles south of San Antonio. I’m near a roadside lunch area but not in it. I hope it is okay to park here and I won’t be disturbed. No bummers today, so far.


2 comments:

Don said...

Oh my God! Just finished reading your blog up to now; funny stuff! You have a great sense of humor to write as you do about some of your adventures.

Now, I assume you know that your refrig needs to be pretty darn close to level when you are parked. I wouldn't say anything but it would be an expensive lesson. They are ammonia absorption style units and need to be level.

Regarding your computer; you could always switch to a Mac, as I did. Then you can't do anything but you sure can't blame MS. In a year or so you'll get back on track a little but it's tough. And since they are now being built with Intel chips (mine just predates the changeover) heaven know what they are like!

Good luck on the rest of your trip.

Anonymous said...

Could all these problems have anything to do with the approach of Friday the 13th? Wooooooo