Friday, October 27, 2006

Oktoberfest


Yesterday, I returned to Salvador’s and Brian told me that a very good musical group was scheduled to play that evening at “The Hideaway”. In conversations with others at the outdoor tables, I was told that Brian probably meant a place called “Que’ Linda”. Later in the afternoon I returned by bus to my San Juan Cosala camp and decided I will go catch the musical performance. The group was called Ron and (somebody else but I can’t remember the exact name).

I changed clothes from the shorts I had been wearing during the day and took the bus back into Ajijic and went to the Que’ Linda restaurant. It is a very nice place on the north side of the carretera. It has a nice view of Lake Chapala and beautiful flowered gardens and a patio for outdoor seating. I arrived around 6 PM and met the new owner, Linda, who was a lawyer from Fredericksburg, Texas. I found out that I was either in the wrong place or on the wrong day. The Ron musical group is scheduled to play tomorrow, on Friday. That evening, the restaurant was sold out for a Oktoberfest buffet. Linda said she could probably squeeze me in if I was interested. That sounded good to me so I got a table and a Corona.

The event was not supposed to start until 7 PM so the staff was busy getting things ready. They were setting up tables like a German beer hall on the patio and German music was playing on the sound system. The guests started to arrive just before 7 PM. I didn’t interact too much with them, preferring to drink my beer and watch the scene. I got a plate and got in line when they started serving. They served sauerkraut, rot kohl, bratwurst, German potato salad, frankfurters, spaetzle, sauerbraten and schnitzel in a paprika sauce. For desert, they served apple strudel. The food was excellent. Even better than food I had when I was in Germany and Austria.

A Mexican trio, accordion, guitar and bass entertained the group and it confirmed the idea that a lot of Mexican traditional music sounds like German traditional music. For a mistake, I lucked out with a very enjoyable evening. My bill was 155 pesos, 100 pesos for the meal and 55 pesos for three Coronas.

I left early to catch the bus back to the camp site. I had been told the buses run until 10 PM. Most of the restaurants in this area seem to close about the same time or earlier. I don’t think there is a lot of crime in the area but it seems most of the locals don’t stay out late in the evenings.

Gasoline in Pemex stations is 6.68 pesos per litre or a little over $2.35 per gallon.

1 comment:

Don said...

Certainly sound strange but why not, we celebrate Cinco de Mayo here. If the food and beverages are good you aren't losing anything.

Thanks for the post about your plans. I missed the comment that talked about them. Have a good weekend.