Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tecolutla


I left Tuxpan shortly after my last post and made my way south. In Gutierrez Zamora I found a Banamex with an ATM. I loaded up on pesos but most were 500 peso bills which are hard to cash. Most Mexicans don’t have change for large bills. I continued on to the beach in Tecolutla where I found a place ,"Las 2 Palmas", to camp on the beach for 50 pesos a night (about $5). The people who run the place are nice and friendly.

In the photos you can see that they are still building pyramids in Mexico.

I got some Coronas and began to relax. For dinner I had 4 empanadas (2 chicken and 2 fish) and a great shrimp cocktail. From the place next door, I got a Margarita for an after dinner drink. I had a pleasant night and have decided to stay here a couple more nights.

This morning I set up the dish without problems. I asked Juan, the young fellow who runs this place with his girlfriend and his mother, if he knew of anyone to make a hinge for the refrigerator. He indicated I would have to go to Gutierrez Zamora to have the work done.

Life is good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful at these small cafes. It isn't that the food is bad but it is the washing of the dishes etc. And eat what has just been cooked not stuff sitting around. As often as possible drink from the bottle, and see if you can get a paper put over the plate before the food. When you see a farmacia buy Kaomycin and also some Cipro. I can assure you that the stomach thing always hits in the middle of the night so have some help handy. Start with the Kaomycin and if that doesn't start to improve things or if you start running a fever, go to Cipro. You can buy Cipro over the counter. Not trying to scare you, just trying to be sure you are prepared.

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Gary Schroeder said...

Billie,

Thanks for the tip. I can use them. Do you know how to say "haircut" and the name of the place to get one? I'm getting a little shaggy and I've read that Mexicans are pretty serious about appearances.

Anonymous said...

Hair cut is corte de pelo
I looked up barber and see that it is barbero and barber shop is barberia with accent on the i. But I have to tell you I have not seen those words in San Miguel. The barber on our street has a red and white stripped pole outside his shop but no sign.

Gary Schroeder said...

Than2s, B5335e

Gary Schroeder said...

That sould be " Thanks, Billie". Darned computers.

Anonymous said...

The name they use here for a hair cut is also "corte de pelo" and the name for a beauty salon is a peluqueria, for men the same name except with an "o" on the end instead of an "a". As Billie mentioned just look for the red striped pole in front.
If you don't have a spanish/english dictionary. Before you want to go out looking for something go to this site:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

select "from english to spanish", type in what you want to say and then hit "translate". It is not the greatest but better than nothing. I like to go there and check my sentence structure to see if it is at least 1/2 way correct. LOL
There are lots of spanish/english dictionary type things online, just search for spanish/english dictionary.
If you are going to be eating at lots of stands/restaurants, eat at the busiest ones, that way the food doesn't have a chance to sit around for long and besides it is usually the best one. Neither one of us has ever gotten sick since we have been here; but we watch where we eat and keep tabs on who got sick where, etc. through the local forums, newspapers, etc.
Have fun. Brenda

Anonymous said...

Oh yah, I also watch the workers. I don't like a place where the same person is handling the food as is handling the money, without washing in between. Here a lot of the stands have a pail of water for hand washing, if it is gross looking I wouldnt eat there, either. I think maybe that women check these things out more than men do and perhaps I am even more picky after having taken a "food safe" course when I worked in a hospital. LOL
By the way, I hope that you have had the Hepatitis shots,not just for Mexico, I think everyone, everywhere needs to have this these days with all the stuff floating around out there.
Brenda
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Checkout Quninta Alicia's in Coasta Esmeralda - good food - nice people. restaurant ran by Teresa.