Saturday, October 07, 2006

In a Ditch

Everything seemed to be going well. Then MS Streets and Trips started having problems. It would stop given directions by sound and then it would hang. Stupid me, I put all my confidence in the program and don’t have paper maps. Just before sundown out of Delta, Utah, I pulled to the side of the road to deal with the problem. It was just before a turn coming up that I had to make. Usually I would reboot the Vaio and things would be fixed. This time every time I tried to run the program and started the GPS, the program would crash. I won’t bore you with the gory details but bottom line; I got pissed off after about three hours of trying to fix the problem. Don’t you just love computers? :)

When the sun started to go down, I stopped dealing with MS Streets and Trips and started looking for a place to park for the night. I found a frontage road along side I-15 that so far has been deserted. No traffic has gone by since I pulled into the ditch to park.

I have determined that the problem was my map was corrupt. Now this map had many hours of work put into it by me customizing it with spots of interest that I learned of through research on the internet. So I have had to start with a fresh map and will reroute my trip to Colorado.

One thing positive is that I found this spot in the ditch by the frontage road is not far from the route I am supposed to have taken, I-15. I just hope tomorrow morning the rig will get me out of this ditch.

This was supposed to be an adventure; right?

Just Gary signing off from a ditch somewhere in Utah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola Gary -
I thought the Vegas route (the low road) might have better weather and it is slightly shorter (50 miles or so). We aren't gamblers either, although Anita has a brother and sister living there.

Those damn computers! Stay out of the deep ditches buddy!

John